Summer is vacation time for most youngsters, and they look forward to a break that helps them relax, rejuvenate and revel in new experiences. This year, more than ever as everyone wants to shed off the shackles of the pandemic and have some fun!
What if we told you that you can do all the above, and contribute meaningfully towards society as well? All you need to do is take out a couple of hours every day or even every week and engage in some amazing fun, with deserving people in your city. There is a plethora of volunteer programmes you can join, at NGOs across and around Chennai.
You get to learn firsthand, about the outstanding work being done by NGOs, you step out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself, meet new people from very diverse backgrounds, learn more about your city, engage meaningfully with beneficiaries of a cause, give back and touch lives like never before. All this while having fun with some new friends!
What you can volunteer for this summer:
- Be part of Summer Camp for Champs till mid-May and engage with children across our partner NGOs and schools in a host of fun activities. From magic shows to art and craft, dance to origami, health to grooming, drums circle to clown art, indoor and outdoor games to yoga.
- Join our partner NGOs in cleaning up our shoreline, clean up the beach, participate in tree walks and clean up urban forests.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter and tend to abandoned animals there.
- Be part of our ‘Reading Riders’ and help set up libraries for children in the shelters. This would involve collecting storybooks, indexing and labelling the books and encouraging children to read books by helping them.
- Teach Record audio books in Tamil for college students who are visually challenged.
- Spend time with elders in shelters and engage with them.
- Help specially abled children in an NGO by volunteering at their vocational training centre.
- Volunteer you time by doing data entry and administration work for an NGO.
- If you have a skill or hobby that you can teach others, you can do so too.
- Teach Computer Skills to students in a home.
In short, if you have the time and a skill to share, you could volunteer your time meaningfully and be assured that you will spend a summer to remember. One that will end with a fuller heart and wider smile, and you’d know that you added sunshine to many other lives as well. And that is just one of the perks of being a volunteer, a Chennai Volunteer. (To volunteer with us DM on 9840182299 or email us: contactus@chennaivolunteers)
Leave a Reply